Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Stream of Consciousness


After choosing to animate the type to George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue", I spent a lot of time listening to the song (all 14 minutes of it). I created a stream of consciousness to try to pick out the different elements of the composition. While there are several segments within this piece, they are different variations on the same melody. I also tried to determine the overall structure of the song. The sequence begins with 2 keys going back and forth and then escalating into the melody. Next comes a dramatic sequence and it becomes louder and heavier. Then the keys continue up the scale, and then becomes melodic again. This whole thing is then repeated but played in a higher key, and with more variation. I didn't realize that so much analysis of a song would play such an important role in my project but since my goal is to tell a story with type, it is also important that I also interpret the music that I am animating to. While my design criteria is to use only type, I am wondering now if this is the best solution?

Here is my stream of consciousness...

No comments: