Monday, December 3, 2007

Major Studio: Final project updates

After researching more examples and of motion graphics and kinetic typography animations I found some student work at Carnegie Melon othat I would like to base my final off of.
Carnegie Mellon Kinetic Type Movie Gallery

The approach that these students took was to choose song and quotes by the artist who composed the song. I would like to take a similiar approach, because for me personally music really drives my design work. I also wanted to present a story/song that most people were familiar with. After listening to a ton of music decided I'm going to use "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin.
Here are some quotes I'm going to consider using for the text


“Life is a lot like jazz.. it's best when you improvise.”


“True music must repeat the thought and inspirations of the people and the time. My people are Americans and my time is today.”


“True music must repeat the thought and inspirations of the people and the time. My people are Americans and my time is today.”


“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

E.Y. Harburg (not by Gershwin but I like it anyways)


And some final thoughts for this post...
I think that a major challenge of using this song in particular is that it is 14 minutes long. The design criteria will be to edit the song so that it captures the essence of it, and to also choose the text that will tell the story.

No comments: