Saturday, December 8, 2007

Final Project: Music edits and the color blue

2 things bothering me:

1. I was correct about my assumption that editing the 14-minute composition of George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue to 1 minute would be a challenge. I have so many different versions and because I know the song so well it bothers me that there are parts left out and I feel like I killed the song. However, I have finally made an edit that I am content with and I'm going to stick with it. I also found a short interview with Gershwin that someone published online and it made me feel a lot better. The interviewer stated:
"The Rhapsody is not a composition at all. It's a string of separate paragraphs stuck together...You can cut parts of it without affecting the whole. You can remove any of these stuck-together sections and the piece still goes on as bravely as before. It can be a five-minute piece or a twelve-minute piece. And in fact all these things are being done to it every day. And it's still the Rhapsody in Blue."

2. I intended to use the color blue either in the type or the background, but this poses a huge problem for people that are colorblind. Will people that are colorblind respond to the final piece in a completely different way? Should I just do the whole thing in black & white... ????

okay. back to work.

No comments: