Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Intro to Broadcasting: Type In Motion

After hours and hours researching motion graphics pieces I finally found something that I would like to present for my Type in Motion research project for Intro to Broadcasting. The assignment was to select any broadcast design work (show opens, experimental, promos, TV commercials, PSA's, etc) which uses typography as the primary device for executing its message. I found this music video which incorporates use of camera techniques, 3D and 2D animation, and most importantly animation of type.

The band is called Cuarteto de Nos and the name of the song is "Yo no que hacer conmigo" (translation: I Don't Know What To Do With Myself). The song is in spanish but it is basically about this guy trying to find himself. He sings about where he's been, who he's been, and all of his experiences, and a voice inside his head is telling him not to change anymore and just be himself. Although the music video looks similar to many other type in motion pieces, I think this one stands out in that is uses the type to create a sense of space, and the designers were very successful at that. The video was produced by Milagrito Films in July 2007, located in Montevideo Uruguay (which I visited last spring!), and it was directed by Charly Guiterrez. I have contacted him (which forced my to revisit my spanish skills) and I got a response saying that I could go ahead and ask my questions so I'm waiting for him to answer. I will update when I hear from him to fill you in on how the pieces was created, the type treatment, the font, etc.

Check out more of their work at: http://www.milagritofilms.tv/web/
But caution, it is all in spanish so have your spanish dictionary with you or one of your spanish-speaking friends.



No comments: